Baked apples with crumble topping
For the crumble topping:
- 30g rolled oats
- 20g butter
- 10g dark brown soft sugar
For the stuffed apples:
- 4 dessert apples (washed)
- 30g finely chopped dates
- 15g butter
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a small baking dish with baking parchment.
Make the crumble topping:
Mix the oats and sugar together in a small mixing bowl. Melt the butter then add it to the oats and sugar, combine thoroughly and set aside.
Prepare the stuffed apples:
- Peel the top quarter of the apples, slice off the peeled section and turn the apples onto the cut side to stop them browning.
- Dice the peeled apple tops, discarding the stem.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, stir in the chopped apple and cinnamon. Cook gently for 3-4 minutes, remove from the heat and combine with the dates.
- Using a vegetable peeler or melon baller, remove the cores from the apples, being careful not to go through the bottom of the apple.
- Fill the apples with the date mixture, firming down the stuffing gently.
- Top with a spoonful of crumble mix, cover with foil and cook in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the apples are soft and the crumble topping is golden brown.
- Serve with crème fraiche, cream or ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
This recipe is gluten free. For dairy free, use coconut oil instead of butter and serve with coconut yoghurt.