- 400g good quality sausage meat
- 1 medium courgette, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- 4 stems thyme, leaves stripped
- Small bunch at leafed parsley, chopped
- 500g pack puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sauté the carrot, courgette, onion and garlic in a dash of oil for a few minutes until most of the moisture has evaporated, then tip into a large mixing bowl and leave to cool. Add the sausage meat and chopped herbs then combine everything throughly with your hands.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to form a rectangle approximately 35cm x 25cm. Place the pastry on a lined baking tray and spoon the filling down the middle third in a long sausage leaving a little gap at the top and bottom. Cut 1 1/2 cm diagonal strips
- in the pastry down each side of the meat and brush with the egg. Alternately cross the strips over from each side and finish by folding the top and bottom edges neatly over. Brush the remaining egg over the plait to seal the pastry and give a lovely sheen.
- Bake for 20 mins at 200C, turn down to 175C and cook for 20 more minutes.