For the stewed rhubarb:
- 250g fresh rhubarb
- 50g caster sugar
- 20g butter
For the cake:
- 190g butter
- 190g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g rolled oats
- 3 knobs of stem ginger (in syrup)
- 1 tbsp ginger syrup
- Cut the rhubarb into 1.5cm chunks and stew gently in the butter and sugar until softened but still holding together. Put to one side to cool.
- To make the cake, cream the butter and sugar together and beat until pale and light. Add the eggs one at a time, beating to combine. Mix in the our and baking powder then fold in the oats and the cooked rhubarb, reserving the juice.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined 2lb loaf tin and bake at 170oC for 50-60 mins until the top is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when you insert it in the cake.
- Combine the tablespoon of ginger syrup with the rhubarb cooking syrup, drizzle over the cake and allow it to sink in before turning the cake out.
- This is delicious as a pudding, too, served warm with crème fraiche topped with chopped stem ginger.