Veggie-packed Spanish rice
This delicious one-pot wonder ticks every box for a family supper. On top of that, it’s vegetarian, gluten- and dairy-free but we haven’t met a meat eater yet who doesn’t love it. For anyone who can’t live without, it also makes a great base for meaty options. Use any leftovers for your lunchbox the next day.
- 175g brown basmati rice
- 445ml vegetable stock (made with Marigold gluten-free bouillon powder)
- 400g tin organic chickpeas, drained
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 2 medium onions
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large handful of green beans, trimmed
- 1 heaped tbspn chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 rounded tablespoon sun-dried (or normal) tomato puree
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ large orange, cut into wedges
- A handful of pitted black olives (optional)
- Cut the peppers in half and remove the stalks, seeds and pith, then slice into strips.
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Place the casserole on a medium heat and add the oil, then the peppers and onions.
- Turn the heat up and cook for five minutes, gently moving with a wooden spoon until they begin to brown but not burn. Turn down the heat a little, add the chopped garlic and stir until golden.
- Stir in the rice to coat with oil, then add the chickpeas, smoked paprika, chopped thyme and, finally, the stock and sun-dried tomato puree. Give it a gentle stir, then bring to a simmer, make sure the rice is pushed down into the liquid, cover and place in the pre-heated oven.
- After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and stir in the green beans, then scatter over the orange wedges and olives, if using. Replace the lid and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with steamed broccoli or a green salad.
- Before starting to cook the peppers and onions, brown some skin-on chicken thighs in oil, remove and drain on kitchen paper. Continue with the recipe then place the chicken on top of the rice before placing in the oven for the first time.
- Add some defrosted, cooked prawns five minutes before the end of cooking time.
- Swap the green beans for peas, broad beans or shredded spinach, or add them too for more of a vegetable hit!