- 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 350g beef mince
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 140g sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp finely chopped black olives
- 100ml soured cream
- 125g cornmeal / course polenta
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 55g butter, cubed
- 3 tbsp milk
- 225ml low salt chicken or vegetable stock
- 85g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp parsley or coriander, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5
- Heat the oil over a low heat and gently saute the onion for about five minutes or until it is soft.
- Add the beef and turn up the heat a little. Cook for around ten minutes, stirring to break it up, until it is browned through. Stir in the paprika, tomatoes, sweetcorn, olives and cook gently for another five minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the sour cream and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Put the cornmeal, baking powder, butter and milk in a food processor and process until combined. Keep the motor running and slowly pour in the stock until the mixture is the texture of a thick custard. Stir in the chopped herbs.
- Pour the cornmeal mixture over the beef and spread it evenly. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the topping is starting to brown. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake for another 15 minutes until it is golden brown and bubbling.