with an autumn fruit compote
For the pancakes
- 100g quinoa
- 150g plain flour
- 2 free range eggs
- 300ml organic milk (or soya / almond milk)
- Vegetable oil and butter for frying
For the compote:
- 3 Bramley or other cooking apples
- 200g blackberries
- 1 orange
- In a small saucepan bring the quinoa to boil with 200ml water and simmer for 15 mins until tender and the water has been absorbed.
- Blend the eggs, flour and milk with a hand blender or food processor then stir in the cooked quinoa.
- Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a heavy frying pan on a high heat until the oil smokes a little, then add a knob of butter. When the butter has melted pour in a thin layer of the pancake batter, tilting the pan to ensure an even layer. Cook for a couple of minutes then flip and cook the other side.
- Peel and dice the apples then place in a saucepan. Using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, pare off a strip of orange zest making sure you don’t include the white pith and add this to the fruit. Now squeeze the orange and poor the juice into the pan. Gently cook the apple over a low heat until it begins to soften then add the blackberries and cook for a few more minutes. You may need to add a little water and sugar to taste depending on the sweetness of the fruit.
- Serve with the pancakes.